Monday, August 18, 2008

Forthcoming Publication

I finally got word that my first publication is going to press. I answered a call for papers for an edited anthology on the Dracula myth (from a trans-cultural perspective) nearly two years ago. Anthologies can take a looooong time. But I received word from one of the two editors last night that Scarecrow Press is the publisher and the project is nearing completion. As a super cool bonus, the world's leading horror historian David J. Skal (pictured at left) is writing the introduction to the book. I love David Skal, anyone with even a passing familiarity with the genre knows his name. My chapter discusses the Toho Dracula Trilogy - here's a portion of the abstract: This chapter explores the curious existence of a trio of Japanese financed, produced, directed, and distributed vampire films from the early 1970s – Legacy of Dracula (1970), Lake of Dracula (1971) and Evil of Dracula (1974). This essay characterizes the cross-cultural properties of these films and then attempts to explain, beyond cross-cultural parameters, the more formal issues of identity in the modern Japanese horror film. These three films, marked with and odd "Western Gothic" aesthetic appear to be the product of much more than mere imitation/appropriation of a successful British economic and aesthetic model (Hammer Studios, the trilogy’s most obvious economic and aesthetic antecedent); they are representative of a fear and anxiety of foreign rule and interference consonant with the period under which they were produced. And so forth and so on... The picture that has been the calling card for Trash Aesthetics (at the top of this page) is taken from this Dracula trilogy. At any rate, it's very cool that this is finally being published. Now, back to the dissertation...

Here are some promotional materials and stills from these films to give you an idea of what my chapter is all about aesthetically.





22 comments:

gilligan said...

I must say, I'm impressed. I've had a couple of papers in scientific journals, but I can't imagine the thrill of getting a work published in book form. Is this going to be available widely, as in stores like Barnes and Noble?

Uranium Willy said...

Congrats from here as well. I am in such interesting company here, scientific papers and anthology contributers and people like Tal writing massive ebooks. It is all very exciting and I am honored to be a part of a little community you guys are involved in (the LAMB) as a past time. As they say in China "Xin Ke Le" "good job"

Uranium Willy said...

As I was looking at the graphics I realized I understood some of the characters too. I cannot really speak Chinese but have picked some up. This is actually Japanese but some of the characters can be the same and translated the same, though pronounced differently I am sure.

The characters 血吸 (xue xi) are translated as "blood suck" and 血吸怪 (xue xi guai, blood-suck-ghost) is Chinese for vampire. The last last character I had to try in look up in a chinese dictionary (not an easy thing) and the closest I can come is 眠 (mian) or a hibernation type sleep. Like Vampire's Sleep or something, thouhg the tarnslation says lake, which is 胡 (hu).

Anyway... I had time on my hands here.

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Chick, many congratulations. I’m going to have to keep my eyes peeled for the volume and feature it over at my place, as it were.

Bill, my understanding is that both the Chinese and Japanese kanji for vampire is 吸血鬼 – blood suck ghost, as you say. It seems a lot of characters were borrowed from one culture by the other.

Taliesin_ttlg said...

actually, I should add that the Japanese in the screenshots probably has more to do with the title Bloodthirsty Eyes, than Lake of Dracula...


sorry Chick taking over the comments a little...


btw gotta love those toho flicks

Chick Young said...

Hola Gentlemen!

Many thanks for all of your wonderful comments and also for the interpretations of the Japanese - of which I am woefully under-skilled.

This post was actually just for you guys - you're the ones I wanted to know. I may take it down sometime in the near future. Just sort of a small horn toot on my end - and you three responded and many many thanks to you!

Tal - The possible title of the book is: Draculas, Vampires, and Other Undead Forms:
Trans/Cultural Studies in Gender, Race, and Genre
Selected Essays on Dracula, Vampires, and the Cultures that Reshape Them
in Film, Anime, and Literature

Erik said...

Congrats! It really feels good to get that first one under your belt, and it looks so pretty on the cv. Can't wait to read it.

Chick Young said...

Thanks Erik, how funny that both of our first professional pubs look at Dracula. Gotta love that.

Uranium Willy said...

I am going to try to find these films online as I read a little more about them and they seem to be something to find if possible.

I am getting a little more intrigued now by vampire movies and lore because of sites like Tal's and all the info I gather here. many of these films I have never heard of until I check a post like this. thanks...

Bill

Liz said...

huzzah!

A+ i say.

and i'll throw in a couple gold stars too..

Chick Young said...

Thanks Lizzie! Big hug for you gal.

Bill, These films are great fun, I love them. They are unique and interesting - you'll enjoy them and all three are available on dvd. I say go for it and nab em'!

JMR said...

congratulations! in the immortal words of dr. evil:

"your stock is rising number two."

tangential to the topic: are any of the toho dracula films available in the US?

Chick Young said...

I have them - they're not the best quality but you are welcome to them when I see you next chief. And thanks for the congratulations Joe!

Ross Horsley said...

I must add my congrats after reading this exciting news! Well done you! No doubt it'll be a fascinating read.

Ira Gabelsburger said...

Will you autograph my copy?

It is with great satisfaction that I wish you congratulation my dear comrade in academia, I am most proud!

Chick Young said...

Muchisimas Gracias Ira! Of course I won't foget the little people now that I'm up here with Brad and Angelina!

Thanks man, means the world to me. The dept. honored me with the graduate research award - glory is mine! lol.

elgringo said...

CONGRATS! Getting published is a dream of mine.

Here's some questions that a brief search of your page could probably answer but since I'm lazy, I ask them here: which PhD program are you a part of? what's your dissertation on?

Scott
he-shot-cyrus.blogspot.com

Ben said...

Awesome! I remember you talking about the films way way back at ICFA 2006 (?). Its so cool getting your name in print! Much nicer to publish in anthologies too as no-one actually reads journals anymore (at least not in Cultural studies (at least I don't (probably shouldn't admit that))).

ARBOGAST said...

Congratulations, Chick. I look forward to reading this.

Chick Young said...

Arbo, Ben, El Gringo,

Thank you gentlemen! Thanks much indeed. I'm looking to possibly get into another anthology on Trash Cinena, but I just learned of it and the deadline is super soon. Once you get a pub under your belt, you really want to start getting some more! Thank you again for your kind words.

Chick

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sir,

News from your editor: The final title is DRACULAS, VAMPIRES, AND OTHER UNDEAD FORMS: ESSAYS ON GENDER, RACE AND CULTURE, and we're happy to include your essay. I'll try to get you a cover design photo soon.

Best,

JEB

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!