Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Favorite Endings...



Probably my favorite ending of any movie in the last twenty years is Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming. I LOVED this movie. It was exactly about "me" when it came out (1995) - I was in the exact same place as the central characters, a quarter of a century old, a bachelor's in hand, the ability to think deeply about seemingly important matters but completely impotent at attending to them, not a farthing of wisdom, and a personal and professional compass that was impervious to magnetism - in other words... stuck.

The film centers around, among other things, a relationship between protagonist Grover (Josh Hamilton) and Jane (one of my favorite actresses, the lovely- Olivia D'abo, at left). The story is intentionally fragmented and disjointed - told in flashbacks and in the present. It is a beautifully realized relationship and it is expertly revealed to us, aided by remarkable dialogue and sparkling performances by the two leads. We are given bits and pieces of the many stages of their relationship (all the while knowing that Jane is currently in Prague) just as we are given bits and pieces of a telephone message that Jane has left from Prague. A message Grover can't really muster up the courage to listen to in its entirety. This propels us to the film's daring, original, and sentimental conclusion. I can watch it over and over and over and over...

Clearly, it is not my intent to discuss the ending - just to say that it is one of my favorite endings of all time and certainly claims the top spot for the last two decades at least. Can't recommend this film enough - especially should you find yourself at "Bachelor's End."

Cinematic Perfection: The ending of Kicking and Screaming


7 comments:

Uranium Willy said...

I am not familiar with this film at all. It looks like something for Ivy and I to watch on the sofa. I blog about freaky and chessy films but I love a reasonable well made and conventional film as well. This may not be purely conventional, but you know what I mean, compared to Tokyo Gore Police it is probably more accessible to the wife :)

Chick Young said...

Bill, You and Ivy would certainly enjoy this film a lot. It's smart, clever, poignant, and has, as far as I'm concerned, my favorite ending of any film in the last 20 years. I think Ivy would love it! You will too - it'll remind you of that crossroads you typically hit in your 20s - what the fuck do I do now?? Thanks for the comment mate!

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Chick in appreciation of you efforts.

ewaffle said...

I finally thought of one! Not that it has been haunting my every waking hour but I did feel that I should be able to pick out a great ending from a movie I love. So:

"Tender Mercies"

Was nominated for a ton of Academy Awards, won for Best Actor--Robert Duvall and Best Screenplay, written directly for the screen--Horton Foote. Given the competition (the egregious "Terms of Endearment" the worst of a so-so lot) it could have swept the boards. Duvall was the only American nominated for best actor.

I usually can't stand country music but the songs in "Tender Mercies" might be old time country, one step more accessible that the stuff a music anthropologist would discover during field work in Upthecreek, Alabama.

The ending is as corny as can be, a real tugger on heartstrings, which is fitting given the perfectly pitched homespun quality of the film.

ewaffle said...

And congratulations on the well deserved Premio Dardos Award

Ross Horsley said...

This movie is really hard to get hold of... but you've made me desperate to see it! The late-20s/turning 30 genre is so in with me right now (wonder why...).

Chick Young said...

Ed, I am ashamed to admit that I have only seen Tender Mercies once and that was about 20 years ago (if not more). I must revisit it - and when I do, we'll have a chat! Remind me to tell you why I love Terms of Endearment (there's a story there).

ROSS! Hey old buddy! I've gotta run by AIP tonight. It's been awhile, too long in fact! YOU'VE GOT to check out Kicking and Screaming - you'll love it, especially given your current state of mind. Criterion put out a very nice version state side - not in the U.K.???